Spring Senior Keynote Commencement Speaker Competition
In 2012 the University established the new tradition of selecting a student to deliver the keynote address at spring commencement. The Senior Keynote address replaces a commencement speaker from outside the campus community as the main address during the ceremony, May 10, 2014. The student speaker is selected through a competitive process as outlined below.
All graduating seniors in good standing at UE are eligible to submit an application to be considered for the Senior Keynote.
To receive consideration from the selection committee the following must be completed on or before March 23:
- Completed form including name of faculty reference – see below
- Written draft of commencement speech 1000 – 1500 words
A limited number of finalists will be asked to perform their speeches before the selection committee the second week of April. The final selection will be announced at the UE Leadership Awards program on Thursday, April 24.
Selection Committee members include:
- Dr. Matthew Knoester, committee chair, assistant professor of education
- Ms. Dana Clayton, vice president and dean of students
- Ms. Sylvia DeVault, director of alumni and parent relations
- Dr. Kristie Hochwender, associate professor of English
- Ms. Patti Lippert, assistant to the president for external affairs
- Dr. Rania Mousa, assistant professor of accounting and business administration