Master of Science in Athletic Training
The Master of Science in Athletic Training degree is designed for those who are seeking certification as an athletic trainer from the National Athletic Trainers Association Board of Certification (NATA-BOC). Open to students who do not possess a bachelor’s degree in Athletic Training, the program is two years in length. It includes didactic coursework, clinical skill development, and practical experience. The clinical education component is fulfilled primarily while working with affiliated universities and high schools. Students gain valuable experience working with athletes under the close supervision of the head and assistant athletic trainers, who also serve as preceptors for the program.
The University of Evansville is applying to the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE) for accreditation of its new Master of Science in Athletic Training program. In order for any new program to have an accreditation visit, CAATE requires that the program be in the last semester of teaching their first cohort of students. The University of Evansville has a strong history of CAATE accreditation of its undergraduate athletic training education program. The University of Evansville’s Graduate Athletic Training Program has begun the accreditation process and will begin accepting students to start Summer I 2014.
The University of Evansville’s Athletic Training Graduate Program will open applications annually on October 15th.
- Human Anatomy & Physiology with Lab
- Introduction to Psychology
- Exercise Physiology
- Medical Terminology
- Grade of C or better in required pre-requisite courses (All pre-requisites must have been completed within the last 5 years prior to application)
- Scores for the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), if undergraduate cumulative GPA is below 3.0
- Official transcripts showing completion of undergraduate degree or official transcripts showing ability to complete undergraduate degree at the University of Evansville prior to enrollment in AT 691 (second year of program)*
- Submission of Master of Science in Athletic Training Program Application
- Interview (phone or in-person)
- Completed Technical Standards Form
- Physical examination
- Proof of immunizations required by UE and Hepatitis-B vaccination
- Current Emergency Response & CPR for Professional Rescuer Certification
- Background Screen
- Two letters of recommendation
Recommended: observational experience documented by a Certified Athletic Trainer
*Current University of Evansville students may begin the program in their undergraduate senior year and complete both their Bachelor’s degree and Master of Science in Athletic Training in 5 years. Students should consult with their undergraduate academic advisor if seeking this option.
Application deadline: January 1st prior to the summer enrollment. Applications received after January 1st will be considered for rolling admission if spots are still available.