Preparing To Serve
Alumni of UE's Department of Religion have gone on to successful careers in a wide variety of areas.
UE's religion major prepares students for success in seminary, vocations of ministry, graduate education, and effective service. Our graduates have gone on to work as pastors, youth ministers, campus ministers, social workers, professors, writers, editors, and in many other fields.
This chart shows the vocations followed by our students after graduation, and the percentage of those who have gone into each area.
Examples of Career Paths Taken by Our Graduates
- Jennifer Stinnett and Alex Thompson are at the Candler School of Theology, Emory University, where Jennifer is a Woodruff Fellow and Alex is a Pitts Scholar.
- Matt Vanover is director of music at First United Methodist in Henderson, Kentucky.
- Allen Armstrong is children's and youth ministries director at St. John's UCC in Boonville, Indiana, and will be attending Princeton Seminary beginning in Fall 2012.
- Jessica Lipe is an instructor at MoonKkang English Academy in Daegu, South Korea.
- Samantha Kirsch Bouchie is a physician in Indianapolis, Indiana.
- Ross Kuester is pastor of worship arts at Walnut Creek United Methodist Church in Warsaw, Indiana.
- Emily Farmer Slade is Associate Minister of Youth and Children at First Baptist Church in Boone, IA.
- Matt Swisher serves as assistant pastor of Emmanuel United Methodist Church in Noblesville, Indiana.
- Kristin Armistead earned an MDiv from Duke Divinity School and is now pursuing a PhD at Princeton University.
- Christopher Dillbeck is an area director for Young Life.
- Laura Kirkpatrick is the campus minister at Martin Methodist College.
- Sue Kincaid serves as the discipleship director for Bluegrass United Methodist Church in Evansville, Indiana.
- Kendra Hotz is an assistant professor of religious studies at Rhodes College in Memphis, Tennessee.
- Darren Wood is senior pastor at Speedway United Methodist Church in Indianapolis, Indiana.
Seminaries Attended by Recent Graduates
- Candler School of Theology at Emory University: Jennifer Stinnett '10, Alex Thompson '10, Cassie Noland '08, Nancy Gerhart '08 (all with scholarships)
- Vanderbilt Divinity School: Traci Hoehn '08, Gabe King '09 (with scholarships)
- Princeton Seminary: Allen Armstrong '11 (with scholarship)
- Duke Divinity School: Emily Farmer '06 (with scholarships)
- Iliff School of Theology: Tiffany Johnson '08
- Asbury Theological Seminary: Jim Wilson '07
- Associated Mennonite Biblical Seminary: Jason Barr '04