15 Frequently Asked Questions for Advisors
- Do we have to use 3 hours from H282 British Studies for the International Perspectives requirement of general education?
- Can we use Astronomy 100 to substitute for physics?
No, Astronomy 100 cannot substitute for any Physics course. [Per J. Braun, Chair of Physics, Oct. 2007]
- Can students that are pursuing a BA use additional classes in their majors to meet the free elective requirements?
Yes, as long as the student does not exceed 40 hours in any one discipline (p. 32, 2007-2009 catalog).
- Do you have to have one course in Biology, Chemistry or Physics if Psychology or Geography would better fit their major?
Yes, one course in Biology, Chemistry or Physics. The ’07-’09 catalog states “at least one course in biology, chemistry, or physics...“ p. 39
- Do transfer students have to take the Writing Proficiency Exam?
Yes, required for transfer students; however the exam is being phased out for freshmen.
- Do transfer students have to take the WC sequence?
No, there is a World Cultures Sequence for substituting courses (’07-’09 catalogue p. 41) that transfer students can complete; however, “Second semester freshman transfers must enroll in World Cultures 120 and complete both courses in the sequence” (p.41).
- Is it any different to double major than to get two degrees?
Yes, many classes do not overlap when you get two degrees. Additional hours are required for a second degree (p. 34, 2007-2009 catalog)
- s it true that if you double major with a business major being one of the majors, that the other major has to be the additional major?
Yes, to meet a requirement for accreditation. The 1st major is the one for which you have to meet all the general education requirements.
- Can you ever substitute senior seminars?
Yes, those students pursuing a double major generally select only one senior seminar course to fulfill General Education requirements, but some majors specifically require the senior seminar in their area to fulfill major requirements. Check with the Department whether or not Senior Seminar is required; occasionally a student takes two Senior Seminars.
- Do you have to have 2 years of a foreign language for a BFA?
- Can you use 2 different foreign languages for a BA?
No, students need to have proficiency in a 212 numbered course for the degree, suggesting 2 years of study of the same language is needed.
- Can you use a grade below a C to count in your major?
Yes, in some cases, but there may be restrictions in those degree programs with accreditation, and rules or restrictions of the Department should be checked.
- If it is documented that a students has a learning disability, do we always accommodate them?
- Does a student receive an advisor for their minor?
- Can Sign Language be substituted for the Foreign Language requirement?
Adapted from the FAQ created by the Faculty Professional Affairs Committee.