University of Evansville

Tuition and Aid

More than 95 percent of UE students receive some form of financial aid.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

The United States Department of Education (Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended) requires that students maintain satisfactory progress toward completing their degree in order to receive financial aid. The Office of Financial Aid is required to check three standards: quantitative (pace of progression), qualitative (GPA), and maximum time frame for receiving aid. These standards, known as Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), govern eligibility for students who want to establish or continue aid eligibility for all federal, state and institutional financial aid programs including grants, scholarships, work-study, and student and parent loans. Many private loans also require SAP.

SAP applies to a student’s entire degree program, including terms (fall, spring and summer) in which financial aid was not applied for or disbursed.

Each May, the UE Office of Financial Aid reviews Satisfactory Academic Progress. If a student falls below the standards, NO financial aid of any kind will be renewed until the deficiencies are corrected.

Quantitative Standards (Pace Of Progression)

Students must, at a minimum, successfully complete 67% of all credit hours attempted. Every May, after spring grades are posted, a student’s total credit hours successfully completed (earned) will be divided by the credit hours attempted to determine whether the 67% completion rate requirement has been met.

Completed (earned) credits: Successfully completed credits include grades of A, B, C or D (including plus or minus) and credits taken pass/fail, in which a P was earned. Unsuccessful grades consist of F, W, I, classes taken for audit, or any other grade that does not result in completed credits. Credits earned by examination will be considered completed credits.

Attempted credits: All credit hours for which a student registers at UE, those transfer credits that count toward the UE degree, and credits earned by examination are included in attempted credits. Grades of I or W will count as hours attempted, but not completed. If incompletes are later completed, they will be reflected when progress is again checked, or sooner, at the student’s request.

Transfer Credits: Transfer credits that apply to a student’s UE degree are included in both the credits attempted and the credits earned when calculating the completion percentage. Credits received for remedial courses or for courses that are not applicable to the student’s UE degree are not included in either credits attempted or earned.

Repeated Courses: Courses that are retaken to improve a grade are counted in attempted hours each time the course is taken but only one passing grade is counted toward the credit hours earned in the completion rate. Students may retake a class for which they have previously received a grade of “F” as many times as it takes to successfully complete the class. However, students may only repeat a course one time in which they have received a passing grade. After one allowable time, the student cannot use federal assistance for future repeats. However, if the course is added to full-time enrollment of 12 or more credit hours, the student can receive federal aid based on full-time status.

Part-time Students: Cumulative GPA requirements are the same as for full-time students. The number of semesters required to complete the program will depend on the hours registered. Students must successfully complete the majority of the credit hours attempted each semester and maintain a 67% cumulative completion rate. However no student will receive financial aid once 150% of the required credit hours to complete the program have been attempted. Second Degree Students: Officially accepted credits that apply to the degree program will count toward both credit hours attempted and credit hours earned.

Qualitative Standards (GPA)

The minimum cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) required at the time of SAP review each May is:

  • 1.60 for those who entered UE in the current academic year (fall, spring or preceding summer)
    • Freshmen
    • Transfer students who entered UE with less than 30 hours toward their UE degree
    • Global Leadership students completing the first year of the program
  • 2.00 for all other students

UE Merit-based Scholarships may have higher GPA expectations. Renewal GPA requirements can be found online.

Maximum Time Frame For Eligibility

Federal Aid Standards: Federal regulations govern the maximum length of time a student may receive federal aid. For students pursuing a bachelor’s degree, this timeframe is defined as 150% of the scheduled length of the program. For example, students in an academic program requiring 120 credit hours may attempt up to 180 credit hours (150% of 120 is 180 hours). Students pursuing an associate’s degree requiring 72 credits may attempt up to 108 credit hours (150% of 72 is 108 hours). Other degree programs with differing credit hour requirements will have up to 150% of the required hours as their maximum. All UE attempted hours, including hours taken in a change from one major to another will apply toward the 150% total. For transfer students, the number of transfer credit hours accepted at the point of admission to UE will be used to calculate the student’s remaining eligibility for the 150% maximum timeframe calculation. Second undergraduate degree students are only eligible to receive loan funds. Students enrolled in a degree program which is equal to or lower than a degree already earned, will have the previous degree’s accepted credit hours applied toward the student’s current degree. The accepted credit hours will be counted toward the 150% maximum time frame calculation.

State of Indiana Grants: Full-time students in four-year degree programs may receive Indiana grant aid for a maximum of eight semesters or until the first bachelor’s degree is earned, whichever comes first.

University of Evansville gift-assistance: For academic programs designed to last four years, University of Evansville gift-assistance (scholarships and grants) are available for four years, or eight semesters, or until the first bachelor’s degree is earned, whichever comes first. If a student finds that he will not graduate in four years, the student may appeal for an extension of the aid. Appeal forms for Fifth Year of UE Aid are available in the Office of Financial Aid.

Programs that are formally designed to last longer than four years - health services administration BS/MS degree, applied exercise science/PTA, athletic training/PTA, exercise science/health services administration, and music education/music therapy, and DPT (3+3 and 4+3) have very specific policies governing aid renewal. See a counselor in the UE Office of Financial Aid for assistance.

Official Aid Denial Notification

Both a letter and an email to the student’s UE email address will be sent each May notifying students who are ineligible for further financial aid until deficiencies are rectified. Students are responsible for maintaining awareness of their SAP status for aid renewal whether or not they receive the official notifications. The Office of Financial Aid is not responsible for address changes that are not reported or for other problems with postal mail or email delivery.

Correcting Academic Deficiencies

Students who fail to meet the above standards will be ineligible for financial aid. The summer can be used at the student’s expense to correct the deficiencies. It is important to remember that grade deficiencies can only be corrected at UE, but credits to correct a deficiency in credit hours earned can be taken elsewhere and transferred to UE through arrangement with the Office of Academic Advisement. Students may request a review of their progress when a grade is changed, regardless of when that change occurs.

Appeals to Regain Eligibility

A student who fails to meet these standards and has lost eligibility for financial aid may appeal this decision. Appeals must be in writing and must be accompanied by appropriate supporting documents. In the appeal, the student must explain why s/he was not making progress and what has changed so that s/he will begin making progress. Appeals should be submitted to the Office of Financial Aid at least three (3) weeks before the beginning of the student’s next semester of attendance to allow time for processing.

Reasons that may be acceptable for appeal are: 1) serious illness or accident affecting the student; 2) death, accident or serious illness in the student’s immediate family; 3) change in academic program; 4) or other serious extenuating circumstances. The reasonableness and likelihood of the student’s ability for improvement to meet the appropriate standards for the degree will be taken into consideration.

The student is limited to two appeals. Appeals will be approved or denied in writing, and a letter sent with academic expectations attached. The student must sign and return the letter indicating acceptance of the expectations imposed. If approved, the student will be placed on Financial Aid Probation for one semester and aid will be granted. If the student cannot meet SAP by the end of the probationary semester, the student must complete and submit to the Office of Financial Aid a SAP academic plan that shows when the student will be meeting SAP.

If the appeal for aid is denied, the student may choose to enroll without using financial aid in an effort to repair the SAP deficiencies. Students may request a review of their record following any term. If the SAP standards are met at the time of review, financial aid eligibility may be regained for subsequent terms of enrollment that year.

Back to the Award Guide Topics